Friday, April 6, 2012

Worth Dying For

When I logged into my Facebook account today, my newsfeed was full of Bible verses about the crucifixion. Today being Good Friday, it seems that almost everyone had something to say in honor of the ultimate sacrifice that our Lord Jesus Christ paid on this day two thousand years ago. I must admit that I love Easter. It is always a sobering event to remember the day that Jesus died for me. I even watched the Passion of the Christ a few days ago, and I admit that I wasn't able to control my emotions. There is something about the crucifixion that is so raw, so powerful, so humbling. It simply puts everything in perspective. It is a sobering reminder of why we are here, which is something we could always use.

Earlier today, I came across a verse that also reminded me of my purpose as a Christian. Galatians 2:20 says, "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." So this weekend, as we remember the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, remember too that you and I have been crucified. We are no longer living, but Christ lives in us. We are not our own. We were bought at a price- and a very high price at that. Remember that you also died. By choosing to surrender your life to Christ, you chose to pick up your cross daily, to repent of your sins, to live by the Spirit.

Romans 6:19b-23 says, "Just as you used to offer the parts of your body in slavery to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer them in slavery to righteousness leading to holiness. When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness. What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of? Those things result in death! But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

So this Easter weekend, remember the death of Jesus Christ. Remember the price He paid for you. Remember that He died so He could offer you the gift of eternal life. Remember that He died so He could have a personal and intimate relationship with you. Remember that He died for you. And remember that you are worth dying for.

No comments: