Friday, March 11, 2011

How Did He Go Wrong?

So many Christians are searching for God's will. High school students want to know God's will for a job, college, or romance. College students want to know God's will for career choice and romance. Young parents want to know God's will for parenting. And the pattern continues. How many times do we ask God for a neon sign that clearly states what path He wants us on? 

In 1 Kings, I read about a king who made a very interesting decision. This king's name was Jeroboam. Before his ascension to the throne, a prophet came to Jeroboam and said in the Lord's behalf, "'You will rule over all that your heart desires; you will be king over Israel. If you do whatever I command you and walk in obedience to me and do what is right in my eyes by obeying my decrees and commands, as David my servant did, I will be with you. I will build you a dynasty as enduring as the one I built for David and will give Israel to you." God told Jeroboam that if he chooses to follow the Lord in obedience and if he does what is right in the eyes of the Lord, Jeroboam will have a dynasty as enduring as King David's. Wow. Can you imagine if that were you?

So Jeroboam becomes king. But in order to make sure an already-crushed rebellion (a rebellion ended by God Himself) stays crushed, he builds two false gods and has his subjects worship them. And that was just the start. King Jeroboam quickly went down the path of idolatry. He set up many sinful idols and false gods to be worshipped. Wait a minute! Doesn't this guy remember the promise God gave him? Obviously not. His kingdom was eventually given to someone else. Additionally, Jeroboam's entire family was eventually slaughtered as punishment. How did he go wrong?

I don't know about you, but if God came to me and said, "I will make you a great man of God. If you obey my commands and keep my statues and decrees and devote your whole heart to me, I'll build for you a ministry as great as World Vision (or BGEA or Samartin's Purse or Lifechurch.tv)", I would listen. Jeroboam got that neon sign we all beg for but ruined it. He scorned God and went the other way! Learn from this foolish king's example and take the higher road.

No comments: