Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Stop Thinking!

"How can I work for God?"

"What does God want me to do?"

"Who am I supposed to be helping?"

We all ask these questions every once and a while. The problem is that the only person who has the answers is a God who chooses to remain vocally silent. I've always wondered how I could figure out what God wanted me to do, and that's a noble query. Yet if that's where the thinking stops, it's a big waste of time.

In the brief season I played football, one of the coaches would always tell me, "You're thinking too much, Logan. You need to stop thinking about it and just do it." My problem the whole season was that I would think too much about doing a move and wouldn't ever get around to doing it... until the opposing player had already leveled me. And what made the star players great? They had trained their bodies to naturally preform the moves; they didn't think about it because it came naturally. That is exactly how it must be for Christians. We need to train ourselves hard enough so that we can get to the point where we stop thinking our "moves" through and we can naturally do them. If we can get to the point where we don't think about talking to strangers about Jesus or talking to someone we can't relate with or serve without being asked to, that is when we reach the point of being a "star" Christian.

You see, when we learn to program ourselves to react by doing instead of reacting by thinking, our spiritual sense get sharpened and we begin to react naturally by helping, serving, and doing. Then the questions turn from "How does God want me to help?" to "There's something I can do!".

1 comment:

kay lo said...

I can comment! This is AWESOME!!!! Thanks, LoVizzle, for helping me figure it out. :) Personally, I think this is your best post so far.. For anyone that doesn't know me, I'm a lot like Logan in the sense that we are MEGA over-analyzing, contemplating, let me strain my brain before I budge..people. It has its benefits; don't get me wrong. Buuuuuuuut, when your personal thoughts and opinions get in the way of the leadership of the Spirit, it becomes a hinderance to the work of God. And as we know, that's never a good thing.

It's unbelievable how you can hear certain phrases all of your life and never fully understand them until you hear it that "one time" when you have your ah-ha moment. Saturday, on my ride back from Florida between naps in the back seat, I couldn't help but notice the number of songs that have the line: "Talk is cheap." Being the deep thinker I am, I thought of nearly a million ways to take that single phrase. But the main thing that kept continiously rolling over in my mind was, "When are we going to stop babbling and do something worth-while!" Amazing how that thought came only 48 hours before reading this post...