Monday, June 13, 2011

From Top To Bottom

A blank piece of paper. Can you think of anything with more potential than a fresh piece of paper? I can do whatever I want to with a blank page. The possibilities are absolutely endless. In my yellow journal/binder, simply flipping the page to a blank, empty, white piece of paper almost always takes a little of my breathe away. I revel in simply thinking of the possibilities I have as a writer on a blank page. Writing is my biggest passion and obsession, so a new page can give me an electrifying jolt of adrenaline.

Every time I click the button to write a New Post, I get the same feeling. Though on a screen, a post is still a blank piece of paper; clay to mold in my hands. And I have a very important belief: Life is short, so don't waste a piece of paper not talking about God. Sure, I could use this blog to post my photography pictures, or discuss the latest sports news, or the latest movie. But I don't want to waste my time and paper on that stuff. I want to spend it on God.

I think we should have that outlook on everything. Seriously, what if when presented with an opportunity to sin, we said, "I can't go see that R-rated movie because I just don't want to waste my time seeing it." "I don't want to listen to the latest top rap song because I'd rather spend my time listening in worship than to waste my time listening to someone sing about the pleasures of fornication." "I won't listen to him tell another perverted joke because I don't have the time to listen to that trash." How weird, how different, how transformed would we be in our thinking if we decided that since life is short, we'd rather use our time doing things to glorify His name than to gratify our desires?

I'd encourage you to not waste the little time you have. Just read part of Ecclesiastes or Psalms to know that life is short, simply a wave in the ocean, a single breath before God. When you are bored and tempted to sin, when it seems like it'd be more fun to sin, when God doesn't seem like He's very satisfying, don't fall into temptation. Life's too short to waste in sin. Our pages are too small to fill with garbage, so fill it from top to bottom with His love.

Don't live for the thrill of sin. Dedicate your time to experience the thrill of knowing God personally.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! I am going to do my best to do that! I know God will help me! I don't want to waste my life! Thanks! All of your posts are AWESOME and VERY convicting!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I was going back reading through some of your old blogs(since you won't be back till the end of July!), and this one is one of my favorites!
Morgan

Amanda said...

This remindes me sooo much of the sermon from last Sunday. Tim was talking about how he lost his 29 year old nephew to drugs, and he used it to talk about how sin is short term and that we have to look for long term. He was saying that right now the sin seems fun and not that big of a deal, but in the long run your life is short and can be wasted on those sins. Unfortunatly, he lost his nephew at a young age because of the short term sin. I definately don't want to do that. Even though not watching the new movie that everyone else is watching and talking about, or not listening to the new song that everyone knows can be hard... In the long run, turning those things down is what's going to set the example that we christians should be setting,and we will benefit from it on judgement day when listening to that song is in the their books but not ours.