Monday, October 15, 2012

Verse of the Week: Colossians 3:15

Colossians 3:15 says,
"Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful."
This verse has been stuck in my head all day. I read in this morning in my quiet time, and it stood out the most.

Why? Because it touches on two big issues I've been trying to work on lately: peace and gratitude.

I'm a worrier by nature and I tend to go overboard with worry and anxiety when I get stressed out. I struggle with trusting God with big problems in my life and also with my future. So lately I have been focusing on worrying less and trusting Him more.

Colossians 3:15 also stood out to me because of the three word sentence at the end of the verse: "And be thankful."

I'm so guilty of being ungrateful and taking the most precious things in my life for granted. God has been convicting me of this a lot lately. I take so much for granted, and I am trying to learn gratitude and content no matter my situation.

And speaking of taking precious things for granted, I want to end this post with a public apology to my wonderful girlfriend, Abby:

Sweetie, I'm sorry for not being the boyfriend you deserve. You are so wise and mature and patient and fun and beautiful and inspiring!! I have not met anyone as wonderful and amazing and fantastic as you, and I see so much Jesus in you. You treat people in a way I fear I will never be able to, and your patience and wisdom are so incredible. I have learned so much from you, and you inspire me in ways no one else ever has or ever will.

Yet I take you for granted every day. I'm sorry for not being there emotionally for you as much as I should. I'm sorry for being selfish and doing what I want, forgetting to take you into consideration. I'm sorry for not being the man that you deserve. But you can bet I'm working on that. I know I don't deserve you. And I'm so humbled and overjoyed to know you love me enough to put up with my silly foolishness. I love you from the deep depths of my heart, and then some. You are the joy of my life, and I pray that I will have the opportunity to spend it with you! I love you!
"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." ~Col. 3:17

No comments: