Monday, May 30, 2011

Stirring the Waters: God's Guidance

I just wanted to post today to simply say that God is good.

Over the weekend, I participated in an awesome event called Encounter. Encounter is an all night worship service, led by youth for youth, and by believers for believers. I'd been praying for God to do something in my life, to let my use the spiritual gifts that He gave me. That night, at Encounter, I was presented with an awesome opportunity. The details are anything but worked out, but basically, God's opened the door for me to start using my gifts. And the coolest thing happened the next morning at church: another opportunity of the same sort presented itself! So three days ago, I was stressed and worried that I wasn't doing what God wanted. But now there are two opportunities for me!

When I was scared and my future uncertain, I resorted to praying to God and asking for His guidance. Philippians 4:6-7 became my prayer: "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." This verse so perfectly describes my past week. I was so nervous, so anxious, so stressed. But in the midst of that, I told God what I wanted and surrendered my petitions and requests to Him. And suddenly, something happened: two words really stuck out to me: peace and guard. I needed God's peace. And finding His peace became my priority. Why? Because it's better to have His peace than to have all the answers or to know what will happen. Trusting God and relying on Him are so much more fulfilling and securing than if I tried to know all the answers.

Now I'm still a little worried and unsure because those two opportunities still have to be okay-ed by some adults. But I believe in a big God, and if He can bring eight teenagers together to believe in the same thing and to want the same plan to happen, His plan won't stop there. This has to God. This is God, and if He wants something to happen, if He wants to use me and my friends, nothing will stand in His way. So I take comfort and solace in His timing, in His planning, in His wisdom, in His love.

Keep me in your prayers. I feel God's spirit at work, stirring the waters for something big, and I can't wait to see what it is. The King is at work. My King loves me. The King of Kings is using me to further His kingdom and to glorify His name.

God is good.

1 comment:

Kyle said...

How exciting! I hope this journey of exercising your spiritual gifts proves to be a period of peace, nourishment, and growth. =)