Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Songs- I Will Follow



I Will Follow by Chris Tomlin

I have never been a big fan of Chris Tomlin. I think he is overplayed, annoying, and too popular. But when it comes down to it, his songs are exceptional. And this is my favorite. This song sounds nothing like his previous tracks; it is more radio-friendly. It has a sweet and driving tune.

I also love the theological foundation to the song. "Where you go, I'll go. Where you stay, I'll stay. Where you love, I'll love. Where you serve, I'll serve. I will follow you." This song perfectly describes the attitude of servanthood that Jesus exemplified. It is the profession of total surrender, from which we submit ourselves to God's authority and control.

This song has personal value, too. My family has followed God from Missouri (my parents origination) to Texas (my birthplace), to Indiana, and then to Tennessee. I have tried to make a lifestyle of following Jesus, even when it's hard, uncomfortable, or when I just don't want to. I Will Follow is a song that exclaims Tomlin's dedication to follow Jesus wherever He leads, and I pray this will be my battle cry as well.

No comments: