Sunday, February 27, 2011

Handling Instruction

When a person has an unteachable spirit, they're arrogant, prideful, and conceited. Have you ever been around an unteachable person? I've played basketball with two people who couldn't take instruction. The coaches couldn't stand them. Most teammates wanted to vote them off the team. Because these two guys thought they knew more, could play better, and deserved more praise, nobody liked them.

A coach will love a player more if the player obeys the coach more than for anything else. I know some players that aren't very good, but the coach just loves them. Why? They do what the coach asks. On the other hand, I know some very skilled players who no longer play with a school or who sit the bench because they refuse to be coached.

I learned a few years ago to do what I'm asked. Most of the time, it's just easier to not ask questions or make suggestions or complain. When I"m corrected or disciplined, I will realize what I did wrong and make the necessary adjustments. That is the best way to do it. I have a teachable spirit. When I'm wrong, I'll admit it. I'll be ready for the next time.

Proverbs 10:17 says, "He who heeds discipline shows the way to life, but whoever ignores correction leads others astray." A Christian should heed discipline to set the example. What kind of Christ-follower would I look like if I argued and whined everytime I was corrected? But not only will heeding discipline set the Christian example, it may also save your life. This verse is clear that if we ignore correction, we'll also lead others astray. In other words, if we don't take correction, those who look up to us or are watching us will see that and follow our lead. The last thing I want on my conscience is the fact I led someone astray! I don't want someone to make a mistake that could negatively impact his life because he saw me reject correction. It's my goal to lead others to Christ and be His light, not deceive others and disobey my coach, teacher, or boss.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Good reminder. Thanks! I'm trying to be teachable. Man it's hard...

Daniel G said...

Good instruction. I try to be a teachable person, and lots of the time I am, but I struggle with being teachable from the person who cares the most in my life, my mother. I will definitely work on that, because like you my goal in life is to help others see the love of Jesus in my life, and not to lead them astray with my arrogance. Great post as always, thanks