Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Wise Man Fears the Lord

The "good kids" in the body of believers are a big problem. In my homeschool umbrella program, there is a large number of "good kids." I'm talking about the type of kids who don't do drugs, keep their rooms clean, do their homework, and don't have sex. The first impression is that most kids in my school are Christians. But these "good kids" are spiritually shallow. They may not disobey school rules, or they may not be trouble-makers or rebel-rousers, but that's as far as it goes. I only have a few friends with whom I can discuss spiritual matters or theological foundations. My other friends only talk about music, movies, each other, or homework. Where is the spiritual meat?

I am a Junior and have attended my umbrella school's tutorial program for three years. Being one of the most-liked and popular kids at school, I've got a lot of friends. Some are bad eggs. But others are really nice people. Some are fun to be around. Others are hilarious and never boring to be around. Still others are always smiling and seem to love life. But I can count the strong Christians on two hands. I can tell who loves Jesus. I can see who reads their Bibles each morning. I notice who draws the line. I notice who doesn't. I can tell who enjoys to serve and learn at church. And what is worse is I can count the number of strong Christian high school students at church on one hand.

Proverbs 13:20 says, "He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm." A few verses following, Proverbs 14:16 says, "A wise man fears the Lord." I don't want to say that these "good kids" at school and church are fools. The Bible says it for me. According to God's Word, unless we are children of God, unless we have a relationship with Christ, unless we accept His gift of grace and love and redemption, we are lost. We enter this world spiritually blind and naked and only Christ can give us sight to see and clothes of righteousness. Being a "good kid" or "better than the rest" doesn't cut it. I do not want to be known as a "good kid" or a "very nice young man." I want to be admired for my dedication to Christ. I want His love for me to be my reputation, not my "good" deeds. I want my indentity to be Christ and Christ alone. And I want my friends to lead the same lives. I wish to walk with the wise so that I may grow wise.

6 comments:

Ashley said...

YAY! A POST!! ;)

This was really inspiring! I totally can relate. I think it all just boils down to "comparing ourselves by ourselves". And that's bad news.

Good stuff here!

Logan Vaughan said...

I know! A post! YAY! lol and thanks for the feedback!

Jennifer said...

Good thoughts. Falling under the homeschool label, I'm sure I have been the example of some who rant about homeschooler's being unsocialized just because I don't have many friends. But I just prefer to be with people who point me to Christ, and, sadly, I'm finding those few and far between.

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing writer! You always have something to say that will make people think, think about what God would say about it. You also catch peoples attention, which gets people coming back, like me! :D Great job! Keep writing for God!!!

Logan Vaughan said...

It's been a long time since an anonymous commented on my blog! But thanks! I really appreciate that!

Anonymous said...

You are welcome! And I just wanted to say how I was really convicted about your modesty blog posts. Now whenever I go out in public I am so afraid that it is low. But that is a good thing that I am worried about it because I think about my outfits more to make sure that my tops won't be low. Thanks for that too!